How to apply
You must apply online for all jobs at Lewisham Council. You can download application forms for jobs in schools.
To apply online
Search the job listings on this site to identify which job you want to apply for.
- Click on "More details" to find out more about the job, including the job description and job specification.
- Click on the "Apply now" button for the online application form.
- If you haven't previously registered to use the site, you will be prompted to do so at this stage
- Applying online is quick and easy. It saves you the cost of postage and stationery
- You will receive automatic confirmation that your application has been received
- You will find all the information you need to submit an application on this site
Completing an application form
Please complete all parts of the application form, carefully considering the requirements of both the job description and person specification as you do so. The application form is the main source of information used to decide whether you will be selected for further consideration.
You also need to complete the equal opportunities information sheet and submit it with your application form. This information is used only for statistical monitoring purposes and will be separated from your application. It will not be considered during the shortlist selection process or be seen by any manager involved in making the appointment.
As we need the same information from all candidates we cannot accept CVs or testimonials in place of an application form.
You will need to give the names and addresses of two people who can provide references (one of whom must be your present / last employer). If you have worked for your current employer for less than six months you must attach details of your previous employer. The other referee cannot be related to you in any way.
For some posts, particularly those working with children, references may be requested from all your previous employers.
Short-listing of applicants will be based on the extent to which their experience, qualifications and skills match the selection criteria listed in the person specification.
In the interests of efficiency and economy we do not write to applicants who have not been short-listed. If you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and Disclosure and Barring Service
Convictions which have become spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 will be disregarded, other than in the case of specific posts which are exempt under the legislation.
These are principally posts which involve working with children and / or vulnerable adults, and for such posts the successful candidate will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check. If a check is required then this will be made clear in the information made available to candidates. The disclosure process will also be explained.
A criminal record will not necessarily prevent you from obtaining the position you are applying for.
Candidates invited to interview are required to complete a Pre-Employment Medical Questionnaire. All appointments are subject to medical clearance. Details of any sickness absence during the previous three years will be requested from previous / current employers in taking up references.
Candidates will be requested to provide the following:
• Qualification certificates
• Driving licence (where required)
• Documentary evidence of the right to work within the United Kingdom as required by the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 (as amended).
A six month probationary period may need to be completed. During this time employees will be expected to demonstrate their suitability for the role.
Certain posts are politically restricted under the terms of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. If this restriction applies, this will be made clear in the recruitment information.
Help using this site
- Create a personal profile in your account and automatically add your details to every new application
- Get email alerts for future jobs: run a search for the jobs you are interested in, click on "Get Email Alerts", name the search and save
- Share job adverts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+
- Bookmark jobs you like by clicking on the star